Friday 6 November 2015

013 | Cross School Course


I'm actually posting about the project! Yay for actually doing it. This is part I because this post is only about the final exhibition. Part II, which I will be doing and scheduling asap after this post (so I don't not do it), will show a bit of the process.

The Cross School Course (I keep saying Cross School Project but that's wrong. Anyway, it's CSC for short) is done by all the year 1 students from the different departments of the school. We're grouped into groups of about 6-7 people from different courses, and each group is assigned a location in Glasgow. We then have to talk about the future, specifically in relation to the assigned location. My group was assigned Merchant City. I have pictures from our site visit in another post.

We could do anything we wanted, as long as it could be presented within the given space in an exhibition at the end of the course. The given space happened to be a 70cm x 70cm table space. This is my group's submission. And as with most of my posts these days, they seem to come from snapchat. So please pardon the quality.



There's an iPod under the table playing voice messages that allude to the potential everyday problems of the people living there. It consists of:

  • an iPad (imagine it's the base for projecting holographic images)
  • wallpaper
  • squishy floors with silver water in it (imagine walking on those!)
  • a portrait painting of the home owners, and their skyline
  • a map on the wall
  • brochures with information about the space
  • books (which are our journals)
  • real flowers

Note: the cafeteria in school is a really (read: extraordinarily) bad place for an exhibition. There wasn't enough space, and the lighting was horrid. I think all of us being there was a fire hazard in itself.

There were a lot of cool stuff though! Here's some of them that I could actually take a picture/make a gif of. There were some that I couldn't even take a photo of without using the flash because it was too dark.



There was one that was pretty amazing. It was made of several layers of ice and they suspended it on string to the (upside down) table and it had stuff inside. So it was basically just melting throughout the exhibition. It looked seriously quite cool. But no pictures because it was too dark ):

And that's about all I have. Not a lot but at least still something! And here's us. Well, the girls of the group. I wasn't the only one holding alcohol in the picture okay. They just hid it a lot better than me. Also, the girl on my right is Scottish. And I picked up so much of the accent from her (it actually surprised me).


No comments: